Friday, April 27, 2012

I.S.P. to N.O.W.


Today is Friday, April 27th. In exactly one week, the program is over. It seems unnecessary to talk about how overwhelming that feels. I think it's probably well understood. Everyone feels the pull and passing of time well, I think. However, it has made me sad. But it has also made the days very sweet now.

Monday is the end of ISP period. That means (in theory) we will have all completed our ISP reports, have done our presentations and completed our last kiswahili exam. Hopefully all will go as planned. After that we have a few last days to be together. The plan, I think, is eating again at Archipelago as we did the first night in Zanzibar, going to Mangapwani beach, visiting friends and celebrating the last few birthdays, and trying to capture all the things we have learned and gotten to love here on this island.

We, meaning Sal and I (because we did our project together), spend the first half of ISP at Jozani NP with Erica. We collected our data and led a simple and pleasant life. 


There was excitement in there, too. This included being chased by cows, jumping on what we thought was a daladala but was actually a van full of a boys soccer team, and taking pictures with random tourists at the park.

using the "internet log"

The second half of ISP was at the Paje “mansion.” I put that in quotes not because it is not a mansion, but rather because that's not necessarily its name. It IS in fact a mansion right along the beach on the east side of the island. We stayed there for a good chunk of time. Again life was simple. But it was also more luxurious. Two stories of a beautiful, open house. Two stories of comfortable couches and beds and the sound of the ocean. 

Thankful for this - but note that the plant in the pot on the left is highly invasive
We got to cook all together which may have been the best part. We made pizza and some traditional dishes. We made a lot of pastas and breads and soups. 

Friends
We swam every day and I ran on the beach according to the tides. At low tide, the women would farm and harvest seaweed and at high tide few people would be swimming. We finished our report (for the most part) during this time. I liked Paje mansion, but experiencing Paje includes indulging in tourism... there is little way to avoid it. I do not necessarily feel guilty for staying there, but I did not want to stay there much longer. As Sal says, “we always come back to Stonetown.”

The thought of going home soon makes that sentence more meaningful and conclusive.

We are back in Stonetown and it feels good. Sal and I are staying with my homestay family and I really couldn't be happier. I feel like I am taking everything I can before I go – well, in terms of thoughts and moments and kiswahili and conversations. They really are a fantastic and hospitable family. This morning, we had a 2½ hr breakfast. We (meaning nearly everyone because my brothers and sisters just finished exams and don't have school right now) spent the time translating all food – fruit, veggies, spices and names of traditional dishes. For breakfast we made Mama Moza's amazing chai with chila (traditional sweet rice bread), avocado and banana from “downstairs”). Last night Sal and I went shopping and bought ingredients to make dinner for the family. We made a peanut sauce spaghetti dish. They loved it. Or so they said. Mmmm – food and laughing and humor from improper translations...

Besides that, I'm walking around Stonetown a lot. It has been mostly cloudy lately and that makes it much more pleasurable. (please note that this “heavy rain season” that is now, it nothing like it usually is – hardly half the rain they usually get). I do miss the ocean here but it's more than a treat to be able to walk around and say hi to more than 5 people you know well every time and see the same faces. I get sad at night now. But I'm letting myself. Because soon it will be boats and buses, planes carrying luggage. It will be people without smiles and loud voices from people I don't know. I may now have a new definition of an extended family, or family in general. Family is actually, here in Zanzibar. Just like Love actually is all around (get the reference?). My hope for this trip was to connect with people to this point of sadness I am experiencing now. So I am sad. But I am also grateful.

I need to remind myself, however, that I must not romanticize all aspects of Zanzibar by turning my feels of love and appreciation to feelings of complete understanding and an disillusioned perfection. There are still these things in Zanzibar that leave me unhappy, uncomfortable, sick, or frustrated – those things I want to fix but can't, those things I will try to continue to learn about when I go home.

I notice when my mind switches back to scheduling and plans and trips and hard movements. On May 4th this program ends. On May 6th I begin my climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro. On May 12th I return to the base. On May 13th I fly to South Africa to meet mom and dad. On May 28th I fly home to Pennsylvania. On June 8th I drive up to Vermont. Here I begin my capstone internship, withdraw money, pay rent, make money, cook, and try to bike and not drive as much as I can.

It's how my life works. But I think I will work a little differently now. I anticipate it being slightly frustrating trying to communicate my experience, at times. But I feel lucky to be able to share my experience with so many people I know and love. Yeah, that's it. This trip has made me feel lucky. And a bit proud? Proud. Proud in the sense that there were personal struggles and I got through them. Proud that I learned. But not proud in all aspects or every time. Recognition that I'm learning. Always.

I am learning.

This week includes another reoccurring thought:
happy birthday!
to my dearest Granny
to my greatest companion and friend, Katie
and to my most
magnificent
mother.

3 comments: